Guess the Dog Breed, Raise Money for a Good Cause

So, I’m not sure if I mentioned on the blog specifically, but River is sick.  Really, really sick, and the vets can’t figure out what’s wrong with her.  As I write this, she’s in the hospital, after failing to respond to not one, but two different kinds of antibiotics, and her temperature keeps steadily climbing.  If you would spare a prayer for her, we would appreciate it.  She is really the sweetest thing, and has had such a crap hand dealt to her this life, that all I want is her to be happy.

Add the emotional stress of that to the fact that 7 of 8 of Clan Donaldson has fallen, and continues to fall, to the flu this week, and you can clearly see that we are in need for some happy distraction around here.

Thankfully, because I have awesome parents, I have just that happy distraction, and I’d like to share it with you.

Almost a year and a half ago, after ages and ages, my dad finally softened on his “no dog” stance juuuuuust enough for my mom to know the time to strike was nigh.  After doing some checking around, she found a potential canine candidate through a local shelter, took my dad to meet the dog, and the rest was history.  They named him Brubeck, and took him home with them, which is the doggie equivalent of winning the lottery:

brubeck

Because I love my parents, and their dog, we’re all going to look the other way at Brubeck’s bandana, ok?

They’ve taken to calling him a “wonder dog”, because they wonder what breed he is.  So a little while ago, they ordered a Doggie DNA kit off Amazon (now shortlisted for summer school activities at Our Lady’s First School for Kids Who Love Dinosaurs), which will list back all the way through to Brubeck’s great-grandparents.

bru1They’ve decided to have some fun with the results, so they’re holding a contest to guess what secrets Brubeck’s DNA will reveal, and I so hope you’ll come play.

To enter, make your guess about what breeds of dog came together to create a Brubeck.  Since the test gives results all the way back four generations, you can list up to four different breeds.  For each entry, my parents will donate ten cents to Pets Without Parents, the shelter they adopted Brubeck from.  The winner will be whoever correctly guesses (or is closest to guessing) the top four dog breeds that have perfectly combined to give my parents Brubeck.

The donation to the shelter will be made in the winner’s name.

If the winning guess comes from one of you, my beloved blog readers, I’ll add $50 to the total donation.

So, if you’re also in need for some pleasant distraction that will result in some money raised for a good cause, come play along.

Here’s what we know about Brubeck:

• He’s two years old
  • He weighs 36 pounds
  • He is black and brown, and has a black tongue
  • He loves all the people, and loves all the dogs

bru3

So grab your kids, put your Wikipedia skills to the test, and come up with the top four breeds you think will be revealed in Brubeck’s DNA.  One entry per person, each entry will be a ten cent donation to Pets Without Parents, and if one of you smartypants are the winner (vs. one of my mom’s Facebook friends) I’ll add a bonus $50 to the total donation.

My guess is:

1. Shiba Inu

2. German Shepherd

3. Pitbull

4. Shorthair Collie

Good luck!

Comments

1. Judy Cartwright says

Just a little clarification—we will donate $.10 for each guess, not for each contest participant, so if you enter all four guesses, it would be $.40…good luck and happy detective work!!!

2. Becky says

German Shepherd, Doberman Pinscher, Rhodesian Ridgeback (let’s face it, I just like to say that one over and over because it’s fun), and let’s throw a little Siberian Husky in there for fun. What a fun thing to do today, look at photos of cute dogs. AWESOME! Prayers for River on the way, too!

1. German Shepherd
    2. Australian cattle dog
    3. Siberian Husky
    4. Dachshund

We had our rescue dog DNA tested because although we adopted him from Australian Shepherd rescue, we suspected that he had other things in there. We specifically wanted to see what made him so big. His number one match for the non-Aussie half was …chihuahua.

• says

I don’t think I’ve ever laughed so hard at a piece of mail as when I opened those DNA results. We’re always talking to Bro (70+ lbs) about his Chihuahua relatives. Needless to say, the DNA process might not be 100% trustworthy.

4. juliea says

We are guessing:
    1. Australian Cattle Dog
    2. German Shepherd
    3.Boston Terrier
    4. Smooth Collie

Prayers for River’s recovery too!

5. Emily B says

Yay! He is a beauty, I will gladly help contribute with my bad guessing…

German Shepherd (watch after all these votes he not have a speck in him!)
    Australian Shepherd
    Labrador
    Vizela

Really hope spelling doesn’t count ;)

Basenji
    Rhodesian Ridgeback
    Manchester Terrier
    Norwegian Lundehund

I really hope River will be okay. If it wasn’t so serious I might think she had my running “allergy” but I know that’s not it. Hope all Donaldsons recover soon!

7. Andrea says

1. Pit Bull (face)
    2. German Shepherd (coloring, body)
    3. Black and Tan Coon Hound (coloring, body)
    4. African Brown Dog (everywhere in Africa) (ears, body)

100% Sweet Dog from the looks of her!

Going with the fun-to-say crowd, but also he just looks like these- I think?-

1. Rhodesian Ridgeback
    2. Aussie Cattle Dog
    3. German Shephard
    and , um,
    4. Catahoula

Hoping that River has come thru the worst.

when you are she will in the wintry months,custom nfl jersey,wholesale hockey jerseys He i.. It’s a fact,cheap nhl jerseys,custom hockey jerseys cheap A, All catering is a foul sit for one down-town office, It is glorified pros. It is in reality a line variety store variety of way of thinking that has worked well in island(Zeeb Rd). Associated with fit have hardly any individual look. Several wineries would be grouped in to south west Snake water vly,hockey jerseys cheap11-58-5032175178znmrh, As