Embroidery Along to Benefit Quilts of Valor

All those needles have since gone missing. If you come over to my house, wear shoes.

I think we’re all ok blaming Jenna, right?  The current revival that embroidery is enjoying in this bubble of the blogosphere is almost certainly because Jenna keeps posting informative vlogs and gramming the amazing results of her handiwork.  So when I posted this picture, of Cari the Happy Joiner jumping on the flossy bandwagon, lots of people expressed a desire to do some joint project.  And by “lots”, I mean about five, but hey, I love organizing field trips and projects and activities and such, so five is all it takes for me.

A few days before, I had run across an organization called Quilts of Valor, which makes quilts for servicemen and women, both retired and active, who have been touched by war.  To get a little idea about the program, watch this video, and grab yourself some Kleenex before you do.

Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

The timing of these two events seemed too perfect to ignore.  So, as I do, I started scheming.  What if all of us who wanted to start (or resume, or continue) embroidering joined forces to make a quilt for Quilts of Valor?  Each of us embroider one 10×10 inch square, and my mom will quilt them all together into something we can offer to a member of our Armed Forces.

We could come up with a catchy(ish) name, and a graphic and make it all blog-git and stuff.  Like this:

QOV

Since the organization has very specific guidelines for the quilts they accept, I have to be all rule-making and stuff for this project.  For those of you (like me) who prefer to freewheel things, I apologize.  To those of you who like structure, this project is for you!

1. If you’re interested, let me know via comments (please make sure I can email you), email, or Facebook.  I’m pretty sure we have enough interest to make one quilt; if lots of people want to participate, my mom said she’d be happy to turn our squares into more quilts.

2. In one week, I’ll take the list of participants that I have, and assign you a color- red, white, or blue (most of the servicemen prefer patriotic-themed quilts, so I figure that’s what we’ll do).  You’ll purchase a half yard of this specific fabric in the specific color you’re assigned (I’ll give you Amazon links to make it easier).  The organization is very very clear about the quality of fabric they want, and I figure if I limit things to three specific colors, my mom will have an easier time finding fabric to quilt everything together.

3. You will pick something to embroider with a patriotic theme.  Here’s where your creativity gets to run wild.  As long as it’s patriotic, go for it.

4. You send me your finished square by March 1st, and I’ll dump the whole project neatly into my mom’s capable lap.

What do you think?  If you’d like to join in, let me know via com box, email me at cari@clan-donaldson.com, or leave me a message on the facebook page.  Don’t be shy!  Otherwise, I’m going to be left embroidering a whole bunch of squares on my incapable own.

Comments

Okay so I read the rules and they scared the stitching out of me. I do not think my “never embroidered before” self would be helpful. Can I send some $ to pay for someone’s square or help cover the cost of backing/the pillowcase/shipping?

• Cari says

Don’t be scared! Or, be scared, but also foolhardy, like me. I’ve never embroidered a single thing in my entire life, but I’m going to give it the old college try (keep in mind, my college experience included a lot of drinking and ditching classes).
      If you’re really not up for it, then yes, a donation would be a really nice thing to offer!

Delighted to see you all involved in a cool QOVF project. We want to follow what you are doing. Can you keep us updated and can we put your progress on our facebook pages?

Thanks for being a part of this great cause.
    Susan Gordon, Executive Director
    Quilts of Valor Foundation

As the wife of a former Naval Aviator and the sister of a former Marine, I am SO IN!! My email is (mary_romance@cox.net). Can’t wait to get started!! Thanks so much for doing this!!

4. Marianne says

Cari,
    Although I already contacted you as the QOVF newsletter managing editor, I also wanted to let you know that I’m IN for a block. This is such a wonderful idea for those of us who embroider and a great way to honoe our Armed forces.
    Thanks so much.
    Marianne

Commercial eye make-up removers can leave the eyes burning or feeling dry.
    You want to make use of everything out there when the time
    comes to ensure that you’re choosing the best eye doctor for the job.
    The default setting is three-fourths of the way up on the slider,
    and it only notifies you when programs try to make changes to your computer.

Here is my site … cheap contact exams greenpoint

Are there group therapy sessions who is dealing with depression and worry.
    Little notes or trinkets help her get through the
    day without too much homesickness. Make a list of the items in your
    kitchen in categories and determine whether you really
    need them to be present in that place. Even with the great shape I got myself in prior to arriving
    at camp, I still had more shape to get into.

Summer camps can be the perfect solution to this problem.

The coaches and instructors take good care of your child.
    Have the children try to guess what animal is on their back by having
    the other campers give helpful clues. t have to spend your whole day writing your clients.
    Real estate tax deductions are also an important line
    item on the Schedule A form, and you can learn here just what your county property taxes cover and which portions of that amount are, in fact, deductible.
    They also recognize weaknesses and develop a strategy to improve them.

Here is my page boca raton boys camps

Apart from controlling obesity, including cabbage juice in diet schedule also helps in curing headache, treating gastritis and preventing bronchitis troubles.
    These two elements are very effective in weight loss because they reduce appetite and help metabolize fat.
    The following is a list of the weight loss supplements according
    to their popularity:. Now, the Garcinia Cambogia Extract is being used for the production of the modern dietary supplement.
    Garcinia Cambogia supplements and where to find them.
    Oz’s discussion that Garcinia Cambogia is the feel
    good supplement because it stimulates the release of serotonin, the chemical in the brain that’s responsible for emotions.
    I mentioned earlier in this article that I feel an elevation in mood.
    In many of the provinces you will certainly find a
    finished licensing system. Because convenience foods are lower in nutrients and high in calories
    that’s a great deal of surplus calories being put away
    as fat deposits. Taking garcinia cambogia supplements for the HCA extract will allow you
    to dramatically reduce fats from these areas.

My web blog … garcinia cambogia pills amazon

Trackbacks