Operation Laundry Room- Fundraiser for the Borobias

This is Dwija:

When life hands her lemons, she not only figures out twenty ways to turn them into something good, but she’ll then blog about what she did in such a way that you feel like a million bucks after reading it.  You’ll be all encouraged and ready to find every single lemon in your life so you can turn it into a blessing, Dwija-style.

Seriously, this woman can silver lining things so sincerely and so enthusiastically that she makes Polyanna look like Eeyore.

“Staaaaaap, Cari.  You’re embarrassing me.  I’m shy.”

Dwija is so reluctant to share sad and/or unpleasant news with people that when she does, it’s a Really Big Deal.

Like the news about Baby Borobia, the sort of thing which apparently results in doctors routinely presenting abortion as an option.  Dwija rejects the doom-and-gloom and seeks out the good, the true, the beautiful.

A personality this big, this generous, reflects Christ’s light so brightly that people are drawn to her and made happier by that association.  People come into contact with her, and they want to cultivate her optimism in their own lives.

The outpouring of prayers for Baby Borobia is a demonstration of that.  So many people, all around the world, have reached out to Dwija and her family and shared their stories, covered the family in prayer, and had Masses said for their intention.  So much love shown.

So the other day, when Dwija posted, as she sometimes jokingly does, about the Awful Horror that is her laundry room, people responded with that care and generosity that she inspires in us.

Bucket that has to be emptied several times during a
laundry load.  A situation that sometimes attracts mice.

A wonderful woman emailed me (Melina, you are awesome) and suggested that we launch a fundraiser for the Borboias.  I’m sure there are plenty of people out there who wish they lived close enough to the House Unseen to be able to go over some Saturday and Weekend Warrior the heck out of that laundry room, but we don’t, so we can’t.  But, thanks to the wonders of the Internet, we can help raise enough money to either get a plumber out there to replace the leaky water valve and/or purchase a dryer.

Even better if we could raise enough money to get that whole pit of dispair gutted, fixed, and finally finished.

Let’s do this!  I’m putting up a Paypal donate button, and all the money collected will go to the Borobias.  If you’d like to donate but can’t/don’t want to use Paypal, send me an email  (cari@clan-donaldson.com) and we’ll figure something out.

If you want to share the fundraiser on your blog, I made a handy little graphic, so feel free to use it.

Thanks everyone!

EDIT:  Updates about the fundraiser (including a progress bar) can be found here.  Thank you all so, so much!

Comments

Yayyy!! I am so happy you are doing this, I have been wondering how I could help. Laundry is vital, the last thing Dwija should have to worry about. Off to donate!!

Great idea! I was struck by this and the lack of a dryer the other day as Dwija said they dry clothes on a drying track in their den when they can’t line dry ( which in Michigan is a lot of time). Very industrious which is admirable but the poor woman needs a dryer! I’d love for her to have ALL the laundry things! Prayers for an abundance of donations!

Let’s do that laundry room! Dwija and Baby Borobia are in my prayers often–glad to be able to help this way too! Thanks for setting this up, Cari!

Yes!!! Awesome idea!! I kept thinking that I wish I had a bigger bank account because man would I love to do a remodel of Dwija’s laundry room – but now I can at least help in some small way and if we all do then she can stop using that bucket and get a dryer!!! Woo hoo!

• says

I’ve never used PayPal for anything other than paying people, so I don’t know if there’s a way to show progress. Does anyone else know?
      I was thinking I’d leave the donation button up for a week, then post how much we raised. I don’t want to keep it up too long, since I’d like the Borobias to be able to start renovations sooner rather than later, you know?

What do you think? One big reveal at the end (like on Sunday), or more frequent updates?

• says

Oh, I don’t know…either way! As long as people are sharing the info through the week and you can see funds steadily coming in, we can wait. I know sometimes it can help motivate people, though, when they see the progress and there’s a momentum that comes when you can see that other people are giving. Honestly, whatever you think best is fine!

5. Anonymous says

She absolutely deserves this. I am so glad we have been given the opportunity to help. She has been such an inspiration on so many levels to this mom of ten. Enjoy the early baby present Dwija! You continue to be in our prayers!

Ha! Apparently I wasn’t the only one trying to figure out how to squeeze enough cash for a washer/dryer out of my budget…although getting them there from Alabama would have been quite the trick. :) Thank you for heading this up and letting us help!